You’ve probably experienced playing darts with a few friends when suddenly, the dart tip breaks as soon as it hits the dartboard. Now that it’s stuck to the board, is there a way to safely remove this?
How do you get broken dart tips out of a board anyway? The simplest method to get dart tips out of a dartboard is to use a pair of needlenose pliers. This minimizes the damage to your board whilst letting you retain a firm grip on the dart tip.
If you’re not familiar with what type of dart you’re using, we also included how you can differentiate the two.
What are the different types of darts?
Steel Tip Darts
Steel tip darts are the traditional darts that have been used since the sport became popular. As the name suggests, they have stiff metal tips made for bristle dartboards. Because they’re made of metal, they’re heavier than other types of darts.
Because they’re made of heavy-duty materials, they’re more durable compared to soft tip darts. Although they can still break, it rarely happens.
Soft Tip Darts
Soft tip darts, on the other hand, are lighter and more flexible. Players can have a hard time switching between soft tip and steel tip darts during games due to the noticeable difference in their weight.
One disadvantage of soft tip darts is that they’re not as sturdy as steel tip darts. You can expect them to break every now and then, especially if you use them a lot.
How to remove soft tip darts?
Broken soft tip darts are easier to remove compared to steel tip darts. However, you still need to be careful since soft tip dartboards are more sensitive. A few mistakes can lead to disaster. You can also remove them through the following:
1. Dart Tip Remover
Dart tip removers can help you get a proper grip on the dart, especially when the dart tips are too small. It’s pointed and it looks similar to a bradawl.
- The dart point removal tool has a small hole at the end. Use that to grip onto the broken dart tip.
- Once you have a firm grip, push it further onto the board. It should go through it.
- You can also lightly push the broken dart tip with your hand to push it as much as you can.
- If this doesn’t work, you will need to open the soft dartboard.
2. Needlenose Pliers
If you don’t have a dart tip remover, you can also use your pliers. It’s cheap and doesn’t take a lot of effort to pull off.
- All you need to do is grip onto the broken dart and slowly pull it off the dartboard.
- If the broken dartboard is too small, this method may not work.
3. Dismantle the board
If none of the methods have worked, then you will need to open your dartboard completely to remove the dart tip. If you’re not confident, you can always ask for a professional to do it for you instead.
- If you’re using an electronic dartboard, switch it off.
- Check if you have a manual before you dismantle your board to ensure you do everything properly.
- Once opened, remove the dart tips. If you pushed them, you can now remove the darts using pliers.
- After removing everything, put it back together.
How to remove steel tip darts?
When removing broken steel tip darts, you need to be careful so that you won’t end up ruining your dartboard. Depending on how bad it is dislodged, you can remove them safely using 3 different methods. Here’s three of them:
This is the easiest and cheapest way to remove your broken steel tip darts from your dartboard. However, this is the one that takes the longest too. Expect it to be dissolved within 4 to 6 weeks. If you don’t mind waiting, then give this method a shot.
Pour white vinegar into a sealable jar. Make sure that there’s enough to cover the whole barrel.
Put the broken dart in the vinegar, with the dartboard parallel to the ceiling. The jar or container should be able to support the dartboard so that you can avoid spills.
Leave it for 4 to 6 weeks. Check up on it regularly to see if the old point has been dissolved. You should also replace the vinegar every week or two.
2. Aluminum Powder
Aluminum powder is not easily available. You’ll need to look for it online through Amazon. It may be more expensive, but it can get the job done within 4 hours. This is also safe to do at home since there aren’t any dangerous fumes or odors.
The time needed to completely dissolve them depends on the size. This method only works if your darts are steel or iron-tipped. The broken part should also be made of either bronze, gunmetal, brass, or aluminum
- Use an aluminum saucepan or any non-ferrous saucepan like pyrex or glass. Avoid using stainless steel or the aluminum solution will dissolve it.
- Put 1 cup of boiling water before adding 6 tablespoons of aluminum powder. Stir it well until the aluminum powder has been dissolved.
- Fill the broken tap with the solution. The casting should always be submerged in the solution. Top it up with boiling water.
- There should be fizzy bubbles emerging from the hole for two to three hours. Wait until it dissolves the remnants. It should look shiny and clean once finished.
The quickest way to remove broken steel tip darts from your dartboard is by drilling them. This method is recommended if you need to have it done within minutes.
- Heat the tip of the barrel. Don’t overdo it, you need just enough heat to soften it.
- You can now start drilling through the center. Avoid putting too much pressure to avoid breaking your drill. Keep drilling through the old point until the remaining parts fall out.
Hopefully, this article has helped you figure out how to remove the broken dart tip from your dartboard. Make sure to apply the proper method depending on the material of the dart!